We are delighted to share that the winner of this year's SUPREME ADNZ | Resene Architectural Design Award went to The Health and Science Centre at Waiariki Institute of Technology’s Mokoia Campus in Rotorua, designed by Darryl Church of Darryl Church Architecture in association with MOAA Architects.
The Health and Science Centre features teaching areas, classrooms and common spaces which are visually connected through glass walls. To avoid a static learning environment, moveable glass walls allow teaching rooms to be adapted to accommodate class sizes and students are free to observe each other learning,
studying and communicating from every point of the building.
ADNZ CEO, Astrid Andersen, said that the quality of a teaching environment can directly impact on educational outcomes and a student’s overall learning experience.
"It is encouraging to see such an inspired and considered approach to promoting learning. Every aspect of the design has a purpose - to provide an optimal teaching environment. From the colours on the walls to the way the building can be manipulated for individual or collegial study - it is all done to give these students and teachers an exceptional educational environment. Well done to ADNZ member Darryl Church, who has added yet another award to his extensive award collection," says Andersen.
In addition to the Supreme Award winner, nine other designers were awarded National titles - the winners are:
• Bernie Kose of BK Design for 'Kose Family House' - Residential Compact New Home up to 150sqm Architectural Design Award (Sponsored by the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment). (WARKWORTH - AUCKLAND)
• David Maurice of LTD Architectural for 'The Bach' - Residential Interiors Architectural Design Award. (MANLY BEACH - AUCKLAND)
• Peter Were of Peter Were Architecture/Interiors for 'Matakana Village Pub' - Joint Winner of Commercial Interior Architectural Design Award (Sponsored by GIB). (MATAKANA - AUCKLAND)
• Julian O'Sullivan of Opus Architecture for 'Dunedin Town Hall' - Joint Winner of Commercial Interior Architectural Design Award (Sponsored by GIB). (DUNEDIN)
• Aaron Guerin of LAD Architecture for 'Gardner Home' - Residential Alterations and Additions Architectural Design Award. (CAMBRIDGE - WAIKATO)
• Robert Weir of Weirwalker Architecture for 'Rockhill Residence' - Residential New Home over 300sqm Architectural Design Award. (KENNEDY'S BUSH - CANTERBURY)
• Cymon Allfrey of Cymon Allfrey Architects Limited for 'EPL' - Resene Colour in Design Award. (WOOLSTON - CHRISTCHURCH)
• Ben Gilpin of Gil-Plans Architecture for 'Ocean Road House' - Residential New Home between 150sqm - 300sqm Architectural Design Award. (PAEKAKARIKI)
• Graeme Boucher of Coast Edge Ltd for 'Aurora Apartments' - Residential Multi-Unit Dwelling Architectural Design Award. (PETONE - WELLINGTON)
• Darryl Church Darryl Church of Darryl Church Architecture for 'Tarawera Cabin' - Colin Stanley 'People's Choice' Award. (LAKE TARAWERA)
Congratulations to all.